So now we know why we should sharpen our axes, but how so? Before you read on, please keep in mind: There’s a difference between knowing how to improve yourself, and actually physically getting off your ass and doing it.
Read books related to your field of study/work
- Won’t kill to put in half an hour a day right? I always read before I sleep, not facebook.
- Don’t know where to start? You can always find recommended readings at www.amazon.com (These links for business and investing)
Gain relevant skills
- Take courses to improve processes in your future or current workplace
- I’m pretty sure a lot of companies are willing to send you for those courses. Just have to open your mouth and do it.
- That’ll be Microsoft Excel and ACCPAC (accounting software) for me.
Pursue professional status
- Whatver job you’re in, there’s bound to be a seemingly elite group of professionals who are in higher demand and get paid a lot more. Be one of them!
- I’m a proud Associate Member of CPA Australia and studying part-time to achieve full membership status.
Take your hobbies one step further
- You love them, why not get even better at them if you aren’t?
- Take a proper course, discover your passion, unearth your potential. At what loss?
- Who knows, your hobby may be your CAREER. Sounds logical? Doing something you love and getting paid for doing it?
- As of now, I am currently pursuing a Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) with Kaplan Professional, Australia. In line with my huge interest in personal finance and planning.
- Give back to society, and you will be surprised with what society can give back to you!
- It may not be related to your area of study; most importantly you must believe in what you are doing.
- For my studying friends, if you haven’t already secured an internship for your next major holiday, PLEASE DO SO IMMEDIATELY.
- The benefits of interning are immeasurable. I’ll cover that in future posts.
The list is not exhaustive. There are many ways you can learn and improve yourself and your employability. Be creative with your passions: start a blog, organise an event, do some networking etc.
At the end of the day, there are two ways you can live your life: Doing the same monotone day-in, day-out for the rest of your life, or you could enrich your life and live it to the fullest. The choice is yours.